What should be done with your incoming mail after you leave?

Japan Post offers a free mail forwarding service for 1 year. All you need to do is to submit a notice to the post office either using a form which is distributed at the post office or online. Unfortunately they cannot forward mail overseas. It needs to be a domestic residential address.  If you don’t have a forwarding address, there are also companies which offer private rental mail boxes and overseas mail forwarding services for a fee.